
While time is limited, the beginning steps of my Heaven and Earth Design cross stitch are coming along to an extent. I'm starting to realize that the purpose of American Idol this year is to give me an excuse to wind bobbins...as shows that have had me hooked for 7 seasons tend to take up time that could be useful elsewhere. So in the second photo are 8 bags, I believe. One down, seven yet to be wound.
"I'm starting to realize that the purpose of American Idol this year is to give me an excuse to wind bobbins"
ReplyDeleteThat made me chuckle.
I envy you your new set of threads. I probably do have the complete set but spread over various projects as well as the main boxes. I'd love to recall them all back to base and see what numbers I was short of!
I'm trying to figure out how I want to store them for projects.. because for the reason you said, if I have all the numbers in order I don't want to take out 90 of them and have a separate box for the one HAED project. :P Maybe I could cut off a few lengths of the colors I need for the first page and put them in a floss organizer dealie (or scrap cardboard with holes!) and see if that works out. I think I might try parking so pre-threading a bunch of needles could be helpful. I don't know! Might just make it up as I go..
ReplyDeleteI always gather together all the threads I need for a project into their own box. Sometimes this might mean "borrowing" from another wip, in which case I leave myself a little note as to where the missing threads are to be found :)
ReplyDeleteFor my latest HAED, a long winter's nap, I have ordered the 12 colours I am short of rather than comb the house for any WIPs that I can borrow from. 12 isn't so bad but unfortunately whilst ordering them I succumbed to my yearning for a new floorstanding daylight lamp so that I can stitch in either room without moving my lamp.
I think your idea of cutting a few lengths is a good one, because in reality that's all that's needed for some of the colours. One of those tanto holders or a pako organiser would be great for that - but cardboard works just as well - oh but how I love buying cross stitch paraphernalia !
Yeah, my mom said I had an "expensive craft habit" :P
ReplyDeleteLexi - I have a "master pull" for any threads I'm not currently using for a specific project, and then I keep a smaller bobbin box for each individual project I'm working on, labeled with a piece of paper that shows through the box with the project name.
ReplyDeleteIt's easier that way, IMHO. That way, just in case the colors fade with time or DMC changes their dye lots (which have happened a couple times since I started stitching), there's less risk of having the same color number mis-match.
When I'm done with a project, I just put all of the bobbins back in the master-pull box, and I start kitting from the master before I buy new thread. :)
Sure, I may have 10 different skeins of a color running around at a time, but I figure eventually I *will* need the color for a later project kitting. I've gone from 7 remainder skeins of a color to needing to buy more in literally a day's worth of kitting. *shrug*