Saturday, May 18, 2013

Children's Play


Hello all!  Just a shout out to anyone who happens to wander onto my blog.  I just posted an event and here are the details.  This is from a Craftsy.com class I joined on Art Quilting 101, taught by Wendy Butler Berns.  One of the question/comment threads jolted me into inspiration mode.  I thought it would make for a cool community-driven project.  :) 



Perhaps you've been invited to my event on Facebook or were linked here some other way.  I have had a wave of inspiration from an online video series I've been watching, and I want to use community to draw some inspiration.  

I played the game Hangman as a child, and continue to whenever someone I happen to be traveling with is letting me use their iPad.  *grin*  The point is, it's just this simple thing that brings so much joy, and gets your mind to think critically to fill in the blanks. 

There were some other games I was remembering (think icebreakers in the residence halls, especially from WOW to any Cal Poly people out there) such as that drawing telephone game.  (I may upload a photo example if I can find it!)  You take a drawing from one person, then the next person writes what it is, then the next person draws only based on the written description.  It translates to some very humorous intermediate and final results. 

I will try not to go into much detail on what I really am looking for here as far as submissions.  I'll take photos from your phone of a scribble on a napkin, scans from your sketchbook, or something fancy you worked up in Illustrator or Photoshop.  Heck, if you want to render something 3-D and send me a snapshot of the different views that could be awesome too.  Or a video of a game of hangman in action.  Quantity, creativity, and spontaneity, are key factors but FUN is the most important! 

Quick note:  Lines and shapes are likely to be used in a more literal sense, whereas colors and shading will be used in a broader sense for inspiration. :P 

Final note:  This is a random idea that just came to me.  If you want to plot crafty ideas with me, feel welcome to send me a message.  I don't know if I'm going to get any interesting responses from this, but spreading my joy for needle arts in the community is something I always want to encourage. 

----------

Okay, hopefully you have played a few games of hangman and drawn some funky stick-figure-like-hangy things that you'd like to send me.  So now for technical stuff.  This notebook is set up as "Shared" and with a Free Evernote account you may "Join" the notebook and within Evernote there are many ways to add files and photos to create your own note. 

Submission details:
  • Create a SINGLE NOTE PER PERSON
  • Title should be either:
    • your name
    • anonymous (#1, #2, #3, etc.)
  • The single note may contain multiple images or files and I encourage captions typed into the note or written on the drawings. 
  • Anything you or any generation might consider crude, please send to me on Facebook or email to (ixelena@yahoo.com) with the same format as above.  Please keep it to one email, unless there was an attachment issue. 
    • ^ it may not make the quilt, but it may end up in an "outtakes" album somewhere for friends and safe keeping.
    • If my Evernote account hits its upload limit I'll probably ask people to email me after that. :)
  • If you don't have any idea how to use Evernote or the above methods, you may upload to this Facebook event as well.
  • Invite everyone you know to the Facebook page or shared notebook.
  • Please use common sense and respect principles to guide what you post on public forum on the internet. 
  • Please keep it light, no derogatory or discriminatory remarks towards other people will be tolerated.  See above bullet point if what you have is questionable (and send in a private message).
  • Please do not delete any notes.  This is just for fun and for the love of crafting, it would be a shame for there to be any sour apples to ruin the process.

Shared Notebook link:

No comments:

Post a Comment